Frequently Asked Questions
A domain name is your website’s address. For example, littlebizdesigns.com is our domain name. Generally for a business, you will want your domain name to be the same as your business name.
When choosing your domain name you may want to choose a generic top level domain (“gTLD”) such as .com, .org, .net, or you may want to choose a country specific top level domain (“ccTLD”) such as .co.uk, .co.za or .com.au.
When you have found a domain that you like and that is available you need to “buy” it which means that it is registered in your name. Usually it is easiest to register your domains through your hosting provider so that everything is in one place.
If you just want to register a domain, but don’t yet want to launch a website, then you don’t need to “host” your website. It is only once you want to put a website online that you need a hosting package.
We can assist you with choosing a hosting provider and demystifying some of the terminology.
WordPress started out as a blogging platform, but it has morphed into the world’s leading website content management system. What does that mean? Well currently around 27% of all websites are based on WordPress. Why is it so popular? WordPress is open source software (means it is free, and anyone can contribute to its design), and there are almost limitless design options and functionality available. But probably the main reason why it is so popular is because it makes it easy for anyone to update their website without having to understand html, css or any of the other scary sounding acronyms.
When your website is designed by Little Biz Designs, you can be assured that your users will find it easy to use, and so will you, meaning that you can update the information on your site when you need to. We are here to help you if you want to make bigger changes to the site, but for most people, once you have your website up and running, it’s nice and easy to keep it up to date.
Little Biz Designs was set up to give small businesses a cost effective way of getting online. There are a couple of reasons that we can offer lower prices than our competitors:
- Being WordPress based, there is lots of software available that can do pretty much anything that you need your website to do, so we don’t have to spend hours reinventing the wheel and writing endless code
- We are a home-based wife and husband team, and so we have very low overheads – no fancy office space or company vehicles to pay for.
- Being based in South Africa also gives us an advantage as the cost of living is lower so we don’t need to charge as much as people in other countries. But we are both English speakers by birth (in fact, both born in the UK), and we have worked in the UK and Australia as well as South Africa, so you get the benefits of our international experience.
In order to have a website, you need to have website hosting. We offer hosting packages that start at R100/month.
Absolutely! We can design websites for anywhere in the world. English is our native language, so websites need to be predominantly in English, however we have also designed sites that have content in both English and German or Afrikaans, and we can easily design multi-lingual sites.
Of all the web design companies available, why choose us?
- We are business-focussed, having run our own companies, and so we know that a website is only a support for your main business which is providing a product or service for your customers and keeping them happy. So you can be confident that your website design will offer a great experience for your clients, but also be easy for you to update (or we can help you with updates in the future if you prefer).
- We pride ourselves on delivering on time, and on budget.
- We listen to you.
- We offer a cost-effective website design service thanks to our low overheads and low cost of living which means we can charge less than other web design companies.
- We are native English speakers, and have worked in the UK, Australia and South Africa, so you can also benefit from our international experience which has moulded our thinking on web design.
- We keep on top of website design best practice and compliance requirements.
Yes you can. But just because you can, doesn’t mean you should, or even that you want to! We can all cook a meal, but that doesn’t mean we don’t like to get someone else to do the cooking at a restaurant.
Little Biz Designs is focussed on bringing great design and cost-effective websites to small businesses. Having run our own businesses, we know that you can get bogged down in all the admin that goes with running a business, and which is nothing to do with why you started the business in the first place. So let us help you with your website design so that you can focus on growing your business, doing what you do best.
Generally we charge a project rate for new website designs, based on our discussions with you as to what you need your website to do – whether it is just to provide information to your customers, or to allow customers to buy products or services through your site.
For social media strategy and implementation we generally charge a monthly fee, depending on the scope of what you would like us to help you with.
For website updates after launch, we generally charge an hourly rate of R100 / AUD 11 / GBP 6 (or equivalent).
We have been involved in website design for small businesses since 2008.
We have completed website design and search engine optimisation (SEO) courses through the University of Cape Town, as well as WordPress, Google AdWords and online marketing courses.
You can see examples of our recent website designs for small businesses on the Portfolio page.
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is all about getting your site to the top of Google (or Bing, or Yahoo) searches. Little Biz Designs will ensure that best practice is implemented in terms of your website design for SEO, but ultimately the best way to get yourself noticed by Google is to keep your website updated and keep adding new content that your website visitors find useful. That’s not our core business, so Little Biz Designs doesn’t offer content services.
We can accept payment by bank transfer (we have accounts in South Africa and the UK), and we can accept credit card payments via PayPal.